Thursday, October 1, 2009

My brain and how it works when I train.

I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else but when I train I come up with the best ideas. I mean I have all these great ideas to write about in this blog and I am stoked when they hit my brain. The one big kick in the nads is that I can't remember a damn thing once the workout is finished.'s taken me 3 years just to remember to write about the stuff I forgot to write about. I really need to carry a recorder with me when I train. This all started when PT (Paul Terranova) told me that when he first went to Kona for the IM World Championships he wished he had a video recorder with him because he says it was absolutely awesome but can't remember any of the race. Well, he's back again this year and hopefully he'll remember crushing Macca. Go get 'em Paul.
Today's training was interesting.
I awoke to the lovely sounds of my alarm @ 5:20 a.m. and made my way down to Circle C pool for a swim with Pain at the helm. I jumped in a lane with Audra, Yvonne and Colleen. I lasted about 1200 meters before I had to get out so I could make it to work on time. The ladies were good to me today as they were nice enough to have me lead the whole way. Always the ladies man I was happy to help and I paid the price of not having anyone to draft off of. I'm sure I'll get mine in the future.
I had a massage today to try and help the tightness in my neck and shoulders. According to PW Michelle (massage lady friend) my neck was a mess. She also worked on my right foot as this is the foot that I jammed a few weeks ago while running the GB. It's still tight and right now it's pretty sore. I just have to keep on rolling it with a TP massage ball.
After work I headed over to the HOL for some repeats. I was totally prepped and ready to rock out 5 of these bad boys today. Once I was ready I walked down the HOL and hit the GB for a 5 minute out and back. With that done I took on the HOL going up. Just as I started my accent the clouds went away and it got really freaking hot. It was also humid and just gunky out. I knew at that time I was going to be in for a long workout. After my first accent I thought I would try running down hard and then going right back up without taking a break. Boy did I pay for that. Maybe on a cooler day but not today. I was sweating like crazy and my heart rate was out of control. After my 3rd accent I was not picking up my feet at all and I was starting to make small mistakes. A small mistake on the HOL could mean sidelines for me if I didn't take my head out of my ass. The thought going through my mind was do I stop because my times are getting slower and slower or do I just do my best to finish. I have seen people from both side of that argument and I was spilt on which side to take. But I remembered Meredith telling me that even if you power walk up the hill, you're doing it right. Well I didn't want to walk so I just kept on chugging away. I felt like crap but I didn't want to head home with having done 4 repeats. That wouldn't sit well for me.
I finished up with 5 accents and 4 descents.
Accents: 5:30, 5:40, 5:44, 5:54, 5:48
Descents: 3:56, 3:59, 4:22, 4:30

Not my best day but a good mental test for myself.
I am skipping core in the morning because I really need to give my legs a rest. I figured some of the issues I had today were because of the Wilke repeats from the other day. Damn you Wilke!!!!

No comments: