Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tools of the trade


So I am not a gifted athlete. I don't have the genetics or the body to go out and crush every workout and dominate at every race. I consider myself a blue collar athlete. I work my ass off for results that work for me and I don't give a shit what other people think about my race times. If you are faster than me then fine, if you gloat about it you're a jerkoff. So I need all the help I can get and that is why I use the hell out of my TP massage kit. The thing I use the most is the small roller and the block thingy for my calves. God blessed me with ankles that don't move and calves that are the tightest in the history of man. The TP stuff totally helps with my tight calves and I try to roll them once a day like in the above pic. It saves me trips to Performance Wellness and ut feels kinda good once I hit the right spot.
You can check out TP massage @ http://www.tptherapy.com/ and Performance Wellness @ http://www.performance-inc.net/
Training:
I woke up this morning @ 5:20 to moderate rain so I sent a text to Pain saying I wasn't headed to the pool and I got an extra hour of sleep. I didn't need it but it was nice to have it. I guess only 2 people showed up for the swim this morning so I don't feel too bad for missing it.
After work today I did something I don't normally do. I ran....... about 11 miles! I set out to run 90 minutes and that's what I did. 1:29:12. That's 90 minutes in my book. I didn't kill myself for 2 reasons. 1- Trail running isn't so much about speed a it is balance and power. 2- It was a training run so I used it to build strength and to work on my aerobic base. Basically it was to help me loose some weight. But it worked and I was pleased with how I felt afterwards. The temps here in Austin today were a high of about 75. Beautiful day with lots of rain. I love running in the rain so bring on all the rain we can handle.
Business:
I booked an announcing gig for October today. I think I may be taking this trail running thing a little too serious. Instead of being paid cash I made a deal with the race director for trail running shoes instead of being actually paid. I did this for a couple of reasons. The RD is a friend and I really didn't want to charge them my normal rate and she also happens to own a running shoe store that carries the type of shoes that I run in. I figured it was a good deal for both of us.
Motivation:
I found this vid on this new website called Youtube.... maybe you've heard of it. Anyways, this is a great vid on training for an IM. I thought it was awesome that this girl had this done and the fact that she was running on a snow covered road totally rocked!! You want balance...., go run on ice and snow and see how that works for you.

No comments: