Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mental Hurrdles

So here I sit on my couch with my feet up and compression socks on hoping that I can save some of my legs for tomorrow's 17 mile run. I have a funny feeling that I'm going to fall apart out there tomorrow. We'll see.
Today was my first big day back. I am still not ok with riding outside so I went to the PTC and jumped on the computrainer. A computrainer is like a regular bike trainer but it's hooked up to a computer. The computer puts resistance on the rear wheel so that the ride can get harder or "easier". You just pop in a video of a course and the computrainer simulates the actual elevation of that course. So I used the IMCDA course and wow did it kick my ass. The one big difference between riding out side and riding the cmptr is that you get no recovery riding the cmptr. Outside you get recovery when going downhill, on the cmptr you have to keep pedaling or you stop no matter how steep the downhill is.
About 2/3's of the way through my ride I really started to doubt myself. I was all alone in the PTC yelling at myself to keep it up and not be a candyass and get off the bike. There was one time I actually stopped pedaling and I forced myself to start back up again. That shit is tough to do. I told myself 2 things.....
1- I new I would be disappointed with myself if I didn't do the entire ride. I've been on an all or nothing/go big or go home kick lately.
2- There is a pro out there named Samantha McGlone. Nice Canadian girl that not only kicks ass but has one very admirable triathlon trait. She has a crazy high tolerance for pain. The girl just isn't right in the head when it comes to pushing herself. So... in the middle of my argument with myself I said, "Sammy McGlone isn't quitting on this shit.... and she's a girl!" Needless to say that kept me going.
I was never so happy to see the end of my ride coming. The last 1.25 miles were all uphill and that could have crushed me but there was no way in hell that I wasn't going the distance today.
Total mileage: 80 miles
Total time: 4 hours and 25 minutes
Average speed: 18.1 mph

Now you think I'm done but that's only the first half.

After I got off the bike I threw on my running shoes and headed out the door for a run. The schedule called for a 50 minute run off the bike today. I ran a loop from the PTC earlier this week and it took me 61 minutes so I did the same loop to see how I would do. The trail was not too busy considering it's SXSW weekend. I brought 1 GU with me and just took little sips out of it instead of all at once. Pain told me about this little trick the other day and it totally paid off. I felt fine during the entire run and my legs never really wanted to slow down or stop. I did stop for water about 5 times because I forgot my fuel belt but I kinda figured I would have to. My speed never really fluctuated too much and I was pleased with that.
Total miles: 7.58
Total time: 1 hour 7 minutes and 4 seconds
Pace per mile: 8 minutes 50 seconds

One major issue though. I didn't have time to stretch after my workout and that's a HUGE no no. I'm going to get some much needed stretching in after I finished this post off.

Overall it was a good day and I am pleased with myself for not bailing on the bike when I had a moment of weakness. I am hoping in a couple of weeks that I'll be able to get back on the road. Speaking of getting back in. My friend Cassidy separated her shoulder about 6 months ago and she had a 5th degree separation. For those of you not in the know.... that's bad....really bad. We saw each other today and she told me that she actually swam 2 miles today. I was freaking jealous but it gave me hope that I can start swimming again sometime soon. Hell my separation wasn't even close to as bad as hers. I'm glad she's back in action.

One last thing.......
Who is the bigger idiot?
The knucklehead that rides without a helmet or the dipshit that rides with one but doesn't buckle the chin strap? A lot of good that's gonna do you shithead. Good lord what a bunch of morons.

No comments: