Monday, November 24, 2008

It’s been a few days since my last update. I really haven’t done a tom of training so you didn’t miss much of that. So here are some of the highlights of the past week or so.

Wednesday: My morning core class with Pain was awesome!!!!!! I sometimes wish it was 2 hours instead of 1.

Thursday: I ran after work for 4 miles.

Friday/ Saturday and Sunday: This was the start of my weekend in Smithville, TX. There is a place called Rock Hill Ranch out there. It’s about a 45 minute drive from Austin. There was a race on Saturday that I was doing and it was a 12 mile trail run. Now…. Trail racing it totally different than road racing. I am a much better trail runner than I am a road runner. Trail running is much more technical with quick turns, uneven surfaces and sharp down hills to go along with sharp uphills. Oh….. did I mention it’s all in the middle of the woods? It started in a small park and went immediately into the woods. The trail is marked with orange tape and some signage. One tough part about this race was that the trail also had pink tape marking it because there was another race out there this weekend. We never go lost but it was close a couple of times.
The race itself went well for me. I went out strong and held it until the end. I placed 3rd overall in a time of 1 hour 33 minutes. I fell only once but I am still wicked sore from the fall. Not as young as I used to be. I beat Fish by 2 minutes which is what I wanted to do. I knew Jamie and Cpt. Jim would mop me up but I figured I could hang with Fish and I did. But I also knew that Fish has a 50 mile trail run coming up in 2 weeks so I figured I would use that to my advantage.
So back to Friday…… I loaded up my pop up camper and headed out to Smithville. Once I got there I was met by Cpt. Jim and Brad. They had brought out the J&A’s pop up so we just put mine next to it and made J&A city. Their pop up was smaller than mine and they had 5 people staying in it. Cpt. Jim had the small bed and asked if could roll with me and I was more than happy to help out. I ended up taking in Cpt. Jim and Drew for the weekend and that was totally cool with me. I did a lot of hanging out with Chock-O (real name Garvis and Jack’s brother) this weekend. Well…. More drinking with Chock-O than anything else. Good times!!!!
After the race on Saturday I stuck around to help set up for the duathlon the next day. High 5 events put on the race on Saturday and I was announcing on Sunday so I helped with set up of the du. All went well and we were off to dinner. After dinner we headed back to the ranch. Once there I noticed my friend Suzanne was nowhere to be found. I knew that she and her friend John had gone for a ride on the trails @ 4:30 but it was now 6:30 and it was totally dark out. I knew they didn’t prep for night riding so we mounted up a search party and headed into the woods to track them down. I was happy to hear that there we just coming out of the woods when we started in. They missed the turn around point and had to walk out because riding in the dark would have been too dangerous. Plus it was Chock-O and I in my X after a few beers and that was only spelling bad news.
Sunday went great and I was very happy to get some sleep on my own bed last night. It was a long weekend.

No comments: